My framework for creating this list started by defining the most important areas of my life. Mine are:
- Personal Development
- Career Development
- Family / Personal / Social Well-Being
Within each area, I defined a high-level aspiration than crystallized that into a more defined goal that I’d actually be able to measure/complete. For some of the more general things this was tough to do. I also defined why I wanted to achieve that goal so that I could make sure it was truly in alignment with the 6 areas of my life that important to me. Stepping back to ask why typically leads to more progress than blindly charging ahead. Lastly, I kept Singleplatform specific goals out of this because I didn’t feel comfortable stating them publicly.
I’m making this public for two reasons.
- Accountability. By putting this out there, it’s much harder to sweep this under the “maybe next year” rug when the going get’s tough.
- Help. People are the fastest way to get where you want to go. By making my goals known, I hope to increase the capacity for others to help me out. No one is going to set you up with their beautiful friend if they don’t know you’re single ; )
SO HERE IT GOES. These are things I want to accomplish over the next year and why…
I want to be more:
- fearless because fear it often what holds me back from great opportunities.
- GOAL – keep a fear journal for atleast one month where I do something that scares me everyday and record it.
- selfless because that will help me become a better leader/member of society.
- GOAL – volunteer atleast once a month.
- healthy because this is the foundation of my well-being.
- GOAL – don’t drink for an entire month.
I want to develop more:
- financial freedom to have more autonomy over my time and energy.
- GOAL – pay off my student loans.
- GOAL – have a steady side income stream of over $2000 a month by year end outside of my day job that requires less than 8 hours of work to create (skillshare, digital products)
- thought leadership because cultivating an audience will help me when I go to start a company and allows me to spread my ideas. It’s also an asset I can leverage to get in front of people as a business development professional.
- GOAL – reach 1000 blog subscribers.
- GOAL – become a contributing writer for a major publication.
- GOAL – guest blog for atleast 6 reputable blogs.
- GOAL – interview atleast one person a month.
- GOAL – grow hackingnyc to 500 members.
- marketing saavy because I enjoy cultivating this and it will help me be in a better position when I go to start a company.
- GOAL – create and market a new digital product.
I want to get better at:
- owning my schedule and allocating my time towards the most essential tasks given my goals. “Not having enough time” is a product of lack of focus.
- GOAL – get better at saying no.
- GOAL – set up two times a week to have non-essential meetings and strictly adhere to this.
- planning so that I am more intentional about how I spend my time and energy.
- GOAL – adhere more diligently to my daily planner methodology every single weekday.
- GOAL – take one hour out every week to plan my week and make sure I’m in alignment with my current goals.
- exercising more willpower when I’m out of my routine or typical enviroment.
- living in the moment because it’s important to be present.
- GOAL – meditate every day for an entire month.
- GOAL – spend one weekend every 2 months completely unplugged.
I’d like to spend more time:
- traveling because I really enjoy this.
- GOAL – travel to 2 new countries
- doing planned activites with friends.
- GOAL – take 2 weekend trips with friends
- GOAL – joining a team with friends
- volunteering because its important to give back and provides positive perspective.
- GOAL – volunteer once a month
- allocating time to my romantic life because who I choose to spend my life with is the most important decision I will ever make.
- in fellowship with people in my church community because it makes me a better Christian.
Random things I’d like to do if I get time for it:
- Start a video interview series
- Create an llc that allows me to write off personal expenses
- Start an annual party that benefits charity with friends
- Gain 1-2 more professional mentors who have expertise in an area that’s in alignment with my goals
- Host a dinner party once every 2 months
- Create an event that people love
- Crystallize exactly what I’d like to write a book on and start writing it
- Speak at a local ted event (establish ideas/frameworks have i come up with that others may not know about)
- Read some biographies of people that inspire me
- Redesign my personal blog
- Go to China to visit one of my best friends while he’s over there
- Read a book on the pyschology behind confidence (I think a lot about building something that helps people acheive this)
- Get the twitter handle Britton
- Create a monthly business development newsletter
- Get better at using virtual assistants
- Create some content to sell on AppSumo
- Create a skillshare class on blog hacks and/or some BD tricks
Places / Events I’d like to go to:
- A landmark college football game
- Germany, preferably for Oktoberfest
- A house concert
- Yankees game (ridiculous I haven’t gone)
- Jackson Hole or Lake Tahoe for some skiiing
- San Diego
- Thailand where the scene from the Beach is
My next step is to copy this on to a poster to hang in front of my desk and then do some planning on the calendar. What do you want to do in 2013?