Over the past ten years, Spencer has built 2 profitable companies without raising a dime and is now well on his way to his 3rd. #studmuffins anyone?
In this interview we talk about:
- The founding and developing of his first successful company Typefrag which is still going strong today with 30+ employees
- His transition to Carbonmade and how to bootstrap a SaaS business while doing consulting work
- The number one thing that all aspiring programmers should have if they truly want to learn how to code. Maybe why I failed…
- Why to never give something away for free, even your a startup with no customers or partners [21:00]
- Thoughts around whether it’s a good idea to give something away in order to generate leverage for future deals?
- The difference between enterprise and consumer web sales (muy importante) [27:30]
- Some strategies on how to handle demonstrating ROI on a product where the output, like employee happiness, is hard to quantify
- The 2 most important things everyone should know about bootstrapping [42:00]
- Spencer’s past companies Typefrag and Uncover
- Vin’s blog – referenced multiple times because it’s awesome
- Article on building for the enterprise
- Article on maintaining ball control during a pitch/sale
- Influence by Robert Cialdini. *Read this is you want to hear the word yes more often
- Quote I love – “The minute you raise money you have a countdown to your death. But with bootstrapping you almost have a countdown to your birth”
In my next interview, I’ll be chatting with Timothy Kenny about accelerated learning. Subscribe below so you don’t miss out!